Dennes Point

Dennes Point is the most northerly township and area on Bruny Island and is the third biggest, with a population of just over 200.  There is a very good beach, with BBQ area and interpretive boards about the area.   Dennes Point has an art gallery and a very fine café called Jetty Café.

The area is named after a family called Denne, who were early settlers and farmers in the 1830’s.  The early name for the point was Kelly’s Point, named after the famous James Kelly, explorer, harbour pilot and whaler.  The board below is situated on the waterfront for more information.  The change of name came about because on of the Denne family started a ferry service between Bruny and Tinderbox on the Hobart side.

Dennes Point seems like the natural place to put a ferry crossing, as it is the closest place to the mainland, but because it can be ‘exposed’ in certain weather conditions,  it is not suitable.  The First vehicle ferry was a converted steamer, the ‘Melba’ and, against local advice from mariners who knew the Channel conditions, the Government began building terminals at Dennes Point and Tinderbox. As predicted, a storm washed everything away when the wharves were half built. they then decided on Kettering and Barnes bay because they are sheltered ports.

The township still has a good Jetty and it is well used.  the Jetty café is close by.  The Bruny Island Ultra run starts here in November each year’  The run is 64k and finishes at Bruny Lighthouse.  For other accommodation in this area, click here